ELNORA’S BIBLE STUDY WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS, 2 Timothy 2 , Saturday, August 29, 2026
In chapter 1, Paul gave Timothy encouragement by reminding him of his heritage and spiritual power. Here, in chapter 2, Paul expands on these commands. Rather than giving minute details, Paul presents a series of examples and tells Timothy to consider them carefully. Paul's instructions here set the stage for the warnings coming up in the next chapter. Timothy—and all believers—need to be prepared and right-minded, because the world is going to become spiritually darker and darker.
Source: https://www.bibleref.com/2-Timothy/2/2-Timothy-chapter-2.html
A Good Soldier of Christ, Part 1, Verses 1-10, TEANNIE
1Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the
grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. 2 You
have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses.
Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass
them on to others. 3 Endure suffering along with me, as
a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 Soldiers don’t
get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the
officer who enlisted them. 5 And athletes cannot
win the prize unless they follow the rules. 6 And
hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their
labor. 7 Think about what I am saying. The Lord
will help you understand all these things. 8 Always
remember that Jesus Christ, a descendant of King David, was raised from the
dead. This is the Good News I preach. 9 And because
I preach this Good News, I am suffering and have been chained like a criminal.
But the word of God cannot be chained. 10 So I am
willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in
Christ Jesus to those God has chosen.
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
A Good Soldier of Christ, Part 2, Verses 11-19, DESTINY
11 This is a trustworthy saying: If we die with
him, he will also live with him. 12 If we endure hardship, we will
reign with him. If we deny him, he will deny us. 13 If we are
unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is. 14 Remind
everyone about these things, and command them in God’s presence to stop
fighting over words. Such arguments are useless, and they can ruin those who
hear them. 15 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and
receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and
who correctly explains the word of truth. 16 Avoid worthless,
foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior. 17 This
kind of talk spreads like cancer,[a] as in the case of Hymenaeus and
Philetus. 18 They have left the path of truth, claiming that
the resurrection of the dead has already occurred; in this way, they have
turned some people away from the faith. 19 But God’s truth stands
firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The Lord knows
those who are his,”[b] and “All who belong to
the Lord must turn away from evil.”
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
An Approved Worker, Verses -20-26, Group Discussion
20 In a wealthy home some utensils are made
of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils
are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. 21 If
you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your
life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every
good work. 22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts.
Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the
companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts. 23 Again
I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start
fights. 24 A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must
be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult
people. 25 Gently instruct those who oppose the truth.
Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the
truth. 26 Then they will come to their senses and escape
from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he
wants.
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
Prayers for 2 Timothy, Chapter 2
1Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 2:1)
Heavenly Father, thank You for the wise instructions we are taught in Your Word and for the spiritual strength and courage that I have received, through the grace that is mine in Christ Jesus. Thank You that I have been empowered to carry out the good work that You have prepared for me to do, and I pray that You would use me to help and encourage others, by the grace that is mine in Christ. This I ask in Jesus' wonderful name, AMEN.
4 Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them. 5 And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules. 6 And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor. 7 Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things. (2 Timothy 2:4-7)
Heavenly Father, thank You for the Word of God and the truths that it contains within its sacred pages. Help me to read, mark, learn, and act upon all the things that Christ has done for me so that I may live my life in a manner that pleases You and honours Your holy name. I pray that I may endure life's hardships like a good soldier of Christ and run, with patience, the race of life that is set before me. Keep me pressing on to the goal of my calling and equip me with knowledge and understanding of all that Christ has done for me. This I ask in Jesus' name, AMEN.
12 If we endure hardship, we will reign with him. If we deny him, he will deny us. (2 Timothy 2:12)
Heavenly Father, thank You that I have been saved by grace through faith in Christ. I want to serve as a faithful soldier, running the race that is set before me and patiently enduring all the hardships that may come my way. Thank You that Your grace is sufficient in every area of life. Help me I pray, to live according to Your will so that I may stand before Your throne and hear You say, "well done, good and faithful servant," for Your praise and glory, AMEN.
19 But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,”[b] and “All who belong to the Lord must turn away from evil.” (2 Timothy 2:19)
Heavenly Father, thank You that You sent the Lord Jesus to be the firm foundation upon which I am to stand. Thank You that I am Your child and that You know everything about me. Help me, I pray, to abstain from every kind of evil, and help me to run the race that is set before me, looking to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith. In Jesus' name I pray, AMEN.
Source: https://prayer.knowing-jesus.com/2-Timothy/2
Comments
Post a Comment