ELNORA’S BIBLE STUDY WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS, 2 Timothy 3 , Saturday, September 12, 2026
In prior
chapters, Paul has encouraged Timothy through an appeal to his lifelong
spiritual heritage. He has also instructed Timothy to remain focused on the
work of God, rather than pointless bickering. Here, Paul will present more
warnings about the attitude of false teachers and those who reject God in favor
of their own preferences. Just as he taught previously, Paul warns Timothy in
no uncertain terms to avoid these behaviors and those who participate in them.
This chapter is the high point of Paul's letter, leading to his final
instructions to Timothy found in chapter 4.
Source: https://www.bibleref.com/2-Timothy/3/2-Timothy-chapter-3.html
1. The Dangers of the Last Days, Verses 1-9, TBD
1You should know this, Timothy, that in the last
days there will be very difficult times. 2 For
people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and
proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will
consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving
and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will
be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray
their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather
than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will
reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! 6 They
are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of[a] vulnerable women who are burdened with
the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. 7 (Such
women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to
understand the truth.) 8 These teachers oppose the
truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a
counterfeit faith. 9 But they won’t get away with
this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as
with Jannes and Jambres.
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
2. Paul's Charge to Timothy, Verses 10-17, DESTINY
10 But you, Timothy, certainly know
what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my
faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. 11 You
know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how
I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from
all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a
godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But
evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will
themselves be deceived. 14 But you must remain faithful
to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you
can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been
taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom
to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All
Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make
us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and
teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to
prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
Prayers for 2 Timothy, Chapter 3
5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! 6 They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of[a] vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. (2 Timothy 3:5-6)
Heavenly Father, thank You for the Word of God and the wonderful truths that it contains. I recognize that there is such an explosion of knowledge in these last days. Knowledge is put on a pedestal, and people work very hard to increase their knowledge of worldly things. I pray that these learned people would come to the knowledge of the thing they need the most, a saving knowledge of You. Keep me from being drawn into the lust for knowledge, and give me discernment to recognise and reject teachers and teachings which water-down the good news of the gospel of grace and pervert the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Give me a teachable spirit and the courage and grace to stand fast in the truth and to share the good news with those I come in contact with, for Your praise and glory. In Jesus' name, AMEN.
12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. (2 Timothy 3:12)
Heavenly Father, thank You for the privilege of being one with Christ, positioned in Him, and clothed in His righteousness. Help me to take this verse seriously, that I will suffer persecution if I live godly in Jesus Christ. Thank You that Your grace is sufficient for any attack that the evil enemy of my soul can throw at me, and that nothing can ever separate me from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus. In Jesus' name I pray, AMEN.
14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. (2 Timothy 3:14)
Heavenly Father, thank You for the amazing encouragement that we have received in this final letter of Paul to his spiritual son, Timothy. I pray that I may continue to grow in grace and be faithful in the work that You have called me to do. Keep me faithful in ministry, faithful in conduct, faithful in sharing the foundational truth of the Word of God with those I come in contact, and I pray that I may be faithful in my attitude and actions towards my brothers and sisters, and honour You in all I say and do. This I ask in Jesus' name, AMEN.
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Heavenly Father, thank You for loving me so much that You sent the Lord Jesus to die for me and to pay the price for my sins. Thank You that He rose again and lives within my body. Thank You that in Your God-breathed Word, I have all that I need to equip me to live my life as You intended, in total dependence on You, by grace through faith. Protect me from satanic deception, doctrines of demons, and false teachers, and help me to study to show myself approved so that I may be thoroughly equipped for every good work, to Your praise and glory. In Jesus' name, AMEN.
Source: https://prayer.knowing-jesus.com/2-Timothy/3
Comments
Post a Comment