ELNORA’S BIBLE STUDY WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS, 2 Timothy 1, Saturday, August 22, 2026
Chapter 1 establishes Timothy's spiritual background. Paul expresses gratitude for Timothy, by reminding him of his past, in order to set the stage for later teachings. Paul first expresses gratitude for Timothy's prior faithfulness, and reminds him of how God called him into ministry. From that point, Paul encourages Timothy to be brave and to guard the truth of the gospel message. Later chapters will explain why Paul feels these traits are necessary, both for the sake of the world and for Timothy in general. Source: https://www.bibleref.com/2-Timothy/1/2-Timothy-chapter-1.html
Encouragement to be Faithful, Part 1, Verses 1-9, Group Discussion
1 This
letter is from Paul, chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ
Jesus. I have been sent out to tell others about the life he has promised
through faith in Christ Jesus.
2 I am
writing to Timothy, my dear son. May God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord
give you grace, mercy, and peace. 3 Timothy, I thank God
for you—the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did.
Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4 I
long to see you again, for I remember your tears as we parted. And I will be
filled with joy when we are together again. 5 I remember
your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother
Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in
you. 6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames
the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. 7 For
God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and
self-discipline. 8 So never be ashamed to tell others
about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, either, even though I’m in prison
for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the
sake of the Good News. 9 For God saved us and
called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but
because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his
grace through Christ Jesus.
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
Encouragement to be Faithful, Part 2, Verses 10-18, DESTINY
10 And now he has made all of this plain to us by the
appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and
illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good
News. 11 And God chose me to be a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher
of this Good News. 12 That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am
not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is
able to guard what I have entrusted to him [until the day of his return. 13 Hold
on to the pattern of wholesome teaching you learned from me—a pattern shaped by
the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus. 14 Through the
power of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, carefully guard the precious
truth that has been entrusted to you. 15 As you know, everyone from the
province of Asia has deserted me—even Phygelus and Hermogenes. 16 May the
Lord show special kindness to Onesiphorus and all his family because he often
visited and encouraged me. He was never ashamed of me because I was in
chains. 17 When he came to Rome, he searched everywhere until he
found me. 18 May the Lord show him special kindness on the day of
Christ’s return. And you know very well how helpful he was in Ephesus.
SECTION QUESTIONS: To Be Added
Prayers for 2 Timothy, Chapter 1
2 I am writing to Timothy, my dear son.
May God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and
peace. 4 I long to see you again, for I remember your
tears as we parted. And I will be filled with joy when we are together again. (2
Timothy 1:2,4)
Heavenly Father, thank You for the insight into this simple,
but profound greeting and prayer, which Paul offered for Timothy. I pray
that You would pour out in great measure, Your never-failing grace, Your
matchless mercy, and Your inner peace which passes human understanding, on all
who are called by Your name. Thank You for the epistles of Paul and for this
final letter to Timothy. I praise You for the wisdom and grace that is shared
in its pages. Thank You for those in my life who taught me the glorious gospel
of grace, and for those who are younger in the faith whose lives have impacted
mine. May I hold fast to the truth that I have learned, give encouragement to
my brothers and sisters in Christ, and develop the qualities of faithfulness,
fortitude, and forbearance, as I make my way through this increasingly cruel
and ungodly world. In Jesus’ name, AMEN.
7 For God has not given us a spirit of
fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. (2 Timothy
1:7)
Heavenly Father, I praise and thank You for Your indwelling
Holy Spirit and thank You that my life is hid with Christ in God. Thank You
that You have not given me a spirit of fear, but one of power, and love, and of
a sound mind. May I not fear rejection or ridicule in this increasingly hostile
world, nor fear the likelihood of persecution, pain, or even death. But may I
fan into flame my faith in Christ so that in Him, I may stand firm in the evil
day. In Jesus' name, AMEN.
17 When he came to Rome, he searched everywhere until he
found me. 18 May the Lord show him special kindness on the day of Christ’s
return. And you know very well how helpful he was in Ephesus. (2 Timothy
1:17-18)
Heavenly Father, thank You that Your Word gives witness to
the testimony of many men and women who were faithful in the work You gave
them to do. Thank You for the ministry of Paul and the wonderful Scriptures he
penned for our learning. Thank You for Timothy, the pastor whose life was such
a wonderful demonstration of a young man who was faithful to his calling.
And thank You for all those, who bring comfort and encouragement to our spiritual
leaders. I pray that I would remain faithful to the work that You have
given me to do as Paul and Timothy did. May I not desire honor or validation
from others, but only do what is righteous in Your sight, for Your greater
praise and glory. This I ask in Jesus' name, AMEN.
Source: https://prayer.knowing-jesus.com/2-Timothy
Comments
Post a Comment